Monday, April 20, 2015

Another One of Those Days...

So I promise that this really doesn't happen all that often, but today tops the last one I wrote about so I just had to type out a quick little blurb on today as well. So today my wife went into the clinic to update a few of her vaccinations. She sat around for a bit and needing to be into work shortly they told her they'd stab her with a needle a few times and send her off. My wife is allergic to a few things and in their haste to get her taken care of didn't check on that before shooting her up with juice and sending her off. About an hour into work my wife is starting to feel a bit weird and light headed. The clinic gives her a call and tells her that they just gave her two of the things she is allergic to and if she experiences a reaction to come into the clinic. My wife is in a different building, and with the insanely strict attendance policies that they have tries to stay on the phone.

A short while later she lets me know that the ambulance is on it's way and that she will be going to the ER. I meander over to the building that she works in and find her in the ambulance on a stretcher. She wasn't able to talk so I talked with the tech in the ambulance and let him know what happened. I then followed the ambulance over to the ER. On the way over I called my supervisor to let him know where I was. He was pretty understanding of the ordeal.

While working my way into the parking garage the truck in front of me decided he was going to back up. Apparently I was invisible to him and he backed into me. Luckily no damage was done. His hitch bumped into my front bumper and he was going slow enough that he just rubbed off some dust. I popped out of the car and looked a bit. Seeing nothing was done I accepted his apology and waved him on. I parked in the first spot I saw and worked my way up a few flights of stairs to the walkway and made my way over to the ER.

I walk inside and talk to the lady at the counter. She says that my wife was just getting in and that they would send for me when they had got her settled in. I figured since I was going to be waiting a minute I called my mother-in-law to let her know what was going on. My mother-in-law is going to start to wonder when I call because generally I don't call her directly unless my wife is in the hospital. I let her know what is going on and do my best to panic my sister-in-law. I succeed greatly in the endeavor. Once I let them know what is going on I don't wait to long before someone pops out of the door and asks who I'm with. I let her know and she has me follow her back to room 9.

My wife is in a bed. She's breathing and able to talk again so that is good. They come and take her blood pressure and such and leave. Now is the worst part of being in the ER: sitting around waiting for the cows to come home. They know what the deal is this time so they don't need to do any tests. They just have her hang around to make sure that the medications isn't going to wear off and the reaction come back. So after sitting around for hours and hours we are finally told they are going to release us. Then after another age goes by they finally come in with the paperwork and let us go. In the process my wife finds that a diamond has abandoned it's post in one of her rings, and work has given her an Attendance Infraction (for something that they caused I might add). So when we went to check out they asked for a co pay. I told them were to go and that we would be working this out with the clinic that sent us here.

We get out of the ER and go strait to HR at work. We tell them all about what went on and how ridiculous this all was. I don't believe in being a jerk and flipping out on anyone, but I did want to be sure someone had an idea of what was going on. I let my wife tell a majority of it since it is her ordeal, but I did want to make sure she was heard and not just blown off like the management in her department has done in the past.

To make a long story short they decided that because it was their fault that they wouldn't ding her for it, and that also because it was their fault that they have submitted a thing to Workman's Comp. So with any luck we won't have a fat hospital bill for something that wasn't our doing.

I've found that anytime we go to the ER I'm always hungry when we leave I'm nigh unto starvation. Going almost 8 hours without eating anything when you've only had a cup full of fruit in the morning for breakfast is for the birds.

In the end I think it'll all get worked out and taken care of. I would however better appreciate it if the frequency of the drama of late would go down a bit, or at least not pack it all into one day. If there is a quota of crazy and wild things to fill in a year I hope that we have hit that quota and deserve a refund for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment