Friday, April 28, 2017

Where's the Kaboom?

In an episode of Looney Tunes Marvin the Martian is making an attempt to blow up the earth with his Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator because it obstructs his view of Venus. Bugs Bunny runs off with his device while Marvin is plugging his ears and closing his eyes. After a minute Marvin asks "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!"

Link for context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuUJfYcn3V4

I'm pretty sure I heard that kaboom the other night when I opened the garage door (the one from the house to the garage) and the entire garage shook with said kaboom. I flipped the light on expecting to see a disaster. After looking around for a minute trying to find the source of such a loud noise I walked around the door (the one for the cars) and couldn't see anything blatantly obvious until I looked up. The spring for the door was now in two pieces and I noticed the wire holding on to the door on either end had let go or given up.

My first though was "Ah....that sounded expensive." and my second one was "It's not the furnace!" (owing to my previous adventures in our first house with the furnace there). We were able to get a garage repair guy out the next day and I was glad to find that it wasn't going to cost me an astronomical amount (a little over $200 with the right referral). It made me think of Marvin and the sound that he was expecting. I hope to not have to hear it again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment