Tippers wanted - For the most part people do tip, but on occasion (more than I'd like) there is at least one a shift that doesn't. Most times it's college students that haven't had the tipping 101 class in college. Usually they are weekly if not daily customers and to lazy to walk the block to Domino's and pick it up themselves. I myself tip very liberally especially after working for next to nothing and depending on tips to support my family. The thing that rips my shorts is when I deliver to a major multi million dollar corporation and as if to give me a kick to the groin for a tip purposefully take the time to write the zero's on the tip line. It's one thing to leave it blank and possibly use the excuse of forgetting, or even putting a line which is more like a slap to the face. The zero's are the ultimate insult then they smile as they hand you the receipt. As if smiling while someone kicks you in the crotch makes it better. I know they have money and they know they have money. Chump change is too good for the likes of a lowly delivery driver I suppose. There are some addresses you see that you get excited to deliver to because you know they tip well and if nothing else they are fun to deliver to. On the other hand you have the addresses pop up that you hope you don't have to deal with because....well they are less than ideal to deliver to.
Even simple jobs have slackers - As a driver I think the hardest thing that I'm asked to do is to do a few dishes in the store. If I'm opening driver I prep a few things for the day, or as a closing driver I mop the floors and do a few dishes. Yeah, I know, real hard labor. Yet without fail there is always someone that decides that isn't something that applies to them. As an opening driver you have something like a seven hour shift. You MIGHT have four hours worth of deliveries on a busy day. It takes maybe an hour do prep the stuff needed if everything is empty and to do the dishes. Yes we get maybe five bucks an hour but this isn't exactly brain surgery either. A five year old could do this job if they could they drive. Then again I've met some five year olds that are more intelligent than most people.
Like any job there are things that drive you crazy and things you like about it. I for one turned down being a manager simply because I like being able to leave the store when it's busy and get away from the stress and just relax while I drive. Also because on the occasion that someone is irate and I don't want to deal with them I simply refer them to the manager to deal with. Sadly enough I also make more than any manager even on my bad tipping days. I'm looking forward to having a real job with benefits, but there are little things in any job that make it at least semi enjoyable.

No comments:
Post a Comment